Saturday, April 17, 2010

ho-hum

Almost 48 hours of isolation this weekend (I refuse to count the cashier at Sunflower market as "company"). I have a love-hate relationship with solitude. On the plus side, it was nice to reacquaint myself with my music collection in a forum other than the running trail. I got to pick my own movie Friday night and didn't have to worry about how much time I've spent hidden behind the laptop screen. I actually get a bit uncomfortable if I'm around people too much. Yet... There's something disconcerting about being lost in thought. The tears-to-hours ratio was a bit ridiculous. I'm blaming my emotional lability on Shuffle's miraculous power to pull up every single song that immediately makes me cry. The basic principle of exposure therapy is failing me here (I've listened to most of these gems a bajillion times- my technical word for Monday morning). Luckily, the girls and Henry (my favorite gardener) came to the rescue, joining me for a lovely Sunday brunch and pulling me out of my melancholy. Best excuse ever to make cinnamon rolls- maple glazed, with triple fruit/pecan filling... mmmmm!

When Red came to visit (Thanksgiving, to put things in perspective), he bookmarked a half dozen websites destined to expand my musical repertoire. Sadly, they've been neglected until last night. My heart was immediately captured by Toad! I'll admit, I'm a sucker for a British accent. He also talks about his cats mid-podcast, so we're destined to be BFF's from afar. Here's hoping that this was the first step to ending my current lackadaisical-approach to music acquisition.

In school-related news, I joined a listserv (one that asked for "credentials" prior to granting my membership)- perhaps a true sign of career commitment? And... I am officially a professor! Summer session 1, Intro to Brain and Behavior. Here's hoping I can spread my enthusiasm on the topic to a handful of UNM undergrads. I've started collecting video clips and cartoons- not above doing a little song and dance to keep their interest. Maybe that can be my class motto: making brains sexy since 2010.

No comments: