Monday, April 5, 2010

be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...

I spent my most of my rainy Sunday huddled up in the United Airlines terminal at SFO with a copy of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. While there are other places I would rather be with a good book (for instance: sofa, blanket, cup o' hot tea), I was pleased to have several hours to lose myself in words not related to psychology. Despite the multiple delays and a switched flight, I begrudgingly made it back in time for work.

I always worry a little, pre-trip, that things will be different with my HS crew. 12 years out, we easily fall into a comfortable routine- filling each other in on the details of life, while maintaining a familiar banter. Trip highlights included window shopping, a raw foods feast at Alive with the step sisters, super hero spottings (and zombies, oh my!), reminiscing with Kristen during the Palomar's nightly wine tasting, a walk to Chinatown in search of guava candy, strawberry cupcakes... The wedding was lovely. Stephen and Grace looked so incredibly happy- a contagious joyfulness that was visible in the face of every guest. The theme of family permeated the whole ceremony; after Mr. Chau's speech, it was hard to hold back the waterworks.

Before leaving Abq, I diligently mapped out a 6 mile run starting from my hotel. I was excited for the change in scenery. The plan was to make my way to Fisherman's Wharf then back around to Market Street, with an up-close view of the water. The drizzle and cold got the best of my motivation. Better to spend the last morning enjoying a warm breakfast with good company, eh? Trying to play catch up this week, but the weather is not cooperating. Windy miles seem infinitely harder than calm ones. On a semi-related note, props to the bro for outfitting my itunes with quite the collection of gangsta rap. Who knew that Biggie Smalls would be the best running buddy ever?

No comments: