Friday, May 31, 2013

I recently read a New York Times article on the Gift of Siblings.  The author talks about how "family closeness isn’t a happy accident", but a series of decisions and "many overlapping memories, which are in turn our glue."  We don't choose our siblings, so our early years are entwined by necessity.  Once we reach adulthood, we make an active effort to protect that closeness; we choose to maintain the relationship for the remainder of our lives. 

I've been thinking about Big G a lot this week, as we rapidly approach his 28th birthday (how is this even possible?  In my mind, he is still a goofy 13 year who awkwardly flirted with my friends and only showed affection with name calling and punches... Hmmm, maybe not so much has changed).  The article choked me up, reminded me of all the events in my life that would not have been the same without him.  He is the one person in the world who can rip me apart with a single comment- he knows my weaknesses, my insecurities.  He knows exactly which buttons to push that result in total destruction.  That power comes from sharing a core.  As different as we are in outward appearance and action, we are remarkably (scarily) the same.  He is also the first person I call when I'm really excited about something in my life or I need to vent.  I don't always tell him my deepest, darkest secrets, but after a bad day, I can talk about nothing with him and instantly feel better. 

In my state of emotional foolishness, I called him up to tell him about the article and make sure he knows how much I love and miss him.  As he is apt to do, he immediately ruined the moment.  "Wait...  You mean when I get old enough, I can choose to not hang out with you anymore???"  Ba-dum-ching.   

Happy 28th to my favorite monster.  Here's hoping we can put up with each other for at least another few decades... 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading that made me tear up a little. How well you describe the sibling rivalry. KMay :)